Alternative Coverage

Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) / Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Check the exact provisions of your program. Some EFAPs/EAPs employ their own counsellors and will refer you to one of them. Others allow you to select your own counsellor and submit receipts to them for reimbursement.


If you have been in an accident and have an open claim with ICBC or WCB, and have either been pre-approved for funding, or think you may be eligible, call me to see if I can advocate on your behalf to obtain funding. Often, under Part 7 of the ICBC code, you can quickly be granted for about $900 of psychological services. Call me if you have any questions at 778-288-8361.

Crime Victim Assistance Program

If you are a victim of a crime, you can apply to the BC Crime Victim Assistance Program for assistance for needed services including counselling. CVAP provides some coverage for counselling services for approved claimants.

*Victim’s Assistance Services (call 604-660-3888 or toll free in BC at 1-866-660-3888 to enrol with CVAP)

First Nations Benefits / Native Status Claims

If you have first nations or native status, you may be eligible for counselling services through the the Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Program and Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program (IRS RHSP), which is funded through the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB)

To be eligible for NIHB Program benefits, a client must be a Canadian resident and registered or be eligible to be registered under a provincial or territorial health insurance plan and have the following status:

  • Registered Indian according to the Indian Act; or
  • Inuk recognized by an Inuit Land Claim organizations; and
  • Not otherwise covered under a separate agreement (e.g. a self-government agreement such as the Nisga’a and Nunatsiavut agreements) with federal, provincial or territorial governments.

Click here for more information about this program and to see if you are eligible.

You may also be covered for mental health support under the First Nations Health Authority (FNHA). Click here for more information.


If none of the above options are available to you, and paying for counselling would create financial hardship, then your best option may be to seek services from a non-profit organization or university clinic rather than a private practitioner.

Non-profit organizations typically serve specific populations and/or counselling issues. An online search will provide you with the most up to date information.

Most universities also offer free or low-cost counselling to the public. These services are usually provided by master’s level students under the supervision of experienced counsellors.

Help is only a click away!

I want to feel relief now