If you're someone who struggles with getting a good night's sleep, you're not alone. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one-third of adults in the United States report that they don't get enough sleep. However, lack of sleep doesn't have to be your reality. There are ways to improve your sleep hygiene, and one of them is through counseling therapy.
Sleep therapy can help you identify the root causes of your sleep problems and develop personalized strategies for improving your sleep. Whether you're dealing with anxiety, depression, or another underlying issue, a counsellor can work with you to create a plan for better sleep.
In addition to counselling, there are several evidence-based tips for improving your sleep hygiene.
Here are seven tips to help you get better sleep:
- Shorten your screen time: Using screens before bed can disrupt your brain's ability to power down and affect your natural circadian rhythm. Cut back on screen use two to three hours before bed, or use blue-light-blocking glasses if you cannot do without your screen in the evening.
- Consider when you drink your coffee: Coffee is a stimulant with caffeine that helps you stay awake. Avoid drinking coffee later in the day, and aim to consume your last cup at least six hours before you plan to sleep.
- Self-regulate your sleep: Having a regular sleep schedule will regulate your circadian rhythm, making it easier to achieve quality rest. Aim to get a regular 7-8 hours of sleep.
- Manage your melatonin: Melatonin is a hormone that helps prepare you for sleep. Consider managing your melatonin levels through supplements if you struggle to get prolonged quality sleep, but consult a physician before taking anything new.
- Move more to sleep well: Regular exercise not only improves your overall health and fitness but will help with your sleep cycle.
- Eat properly to sleep properly : Maintain a healthy diet to positively affect your sleep. Try to maintain a regular eating schedule and avoid skipping meals.
- Upgrade your bed to improve your sleep: The quality of your bed will influence how good a night's sleep you get. Find a mattress that supports your spine, which you find comfortable, and allows you to remain at a balanced temperature.
Getting enough quality sleep is crucial for both physical and mental health. While there are several evidence-based tips for improving sleep hygiene, counselling therapy can also be an effective tool for improving your sleep. If you're struggling with sleep disorders, consider reaching out to a counsellor for help.
If you are struggling with getting to sleep or staying asleep, seeking the help of a counsellor can be a great way to get to the root cause. Overall, working with a counsellor in the greater Vancouver area, can help you feel more empowered and in control of your mental health, and ultimately improve your quality of life.
Book a discovery call and get matched with an experienced Counsellor in Vancouver, today.